Monday, November 1, 2021

new tool: laser cutter/engraver!

Catching up on a lot that has happened in the last year or so...

Back in May 2021 I got the new tool bug and decided a CO2 laser was the way to go. The choice was really between a $1700 laser, and a similarly priced mini mill. While I have wanted a mini mill for a long time, the decision ultimately was driven by how I would use the two. The mini mill is a tool that requires a lot of setup prior to each use, and is generally slow and fiddly. Not things that lend it to fun projects with kids. The laser is a pretty quick and easy machine to use, and is great at doing kid-friendly projects. Since I enjoy spending time with my kids, the decision was made. 


I bought an OMTECH "50" watt 12"x20" machine with a relatively deep manual Z axis. It's a 800ish mm tube, which means it is not a true 50 watt laser, but is probably rated for 40 watts of continuous power. 

About 11 days after i ordered it (free shipping included), it showed up in my driveway:



Its not tiny or light, but I didn't have much trouble getting it onto some moving dollies and unboxed:


It's a little deeper than the bench space I chose for it (especially when leaving room for the exhaust), so I added some quick and dirty extensions.

One friend and I lifted it into place, and it was quick and easy to hook up exhaust ventilation to the existing vent setup I use for the 3d printers.




I put the free trial of Lightburn on my old laptop, and Max and I were blasting stuff out of cardboard in no time!



In addition to the safety goggles, it was a good chance to get a CO2 fire extinguisher for the shop. I also keep a little spray bottle of water around for occasional tiny cardboard fires.

Overall it's a super fun and easy tool, and i cannot sing the praises of Lightburn enough. I have used some other crappy free laser software in the past and it is a nightmare. Lightburn may be the most user-friendly piece of software I can remember using. It's 100% worth the price. 

Expect some more fun laser project updates soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment