Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Project dust containment

As you may have noticed from prior posts, I do a fair number of messy, dirty, dusty projects in my garage.  Unfortunately, our laundry is also in the garage, as is all of my hockey gear, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't love getting covered in metal dust, saw dust, oil mist, or any of the other various messes I tend to create.

Sibyl and I also have some significant projects coming up, so I felt like now was a good time to address these problems.

I took a page from my mold remediation experience, and decided what I needed was basically an easy to set up and remove clean air pressurized containment barrier.  I also have to remember that I'm in a rental house, so I can't tear it up too much.  I stopped in at home depot and picked up some poly sheeting, a couple of adhesive zippers, some string, eye hooks, an HVAC air filter, and some 1/2" pvc.

I attached the poly sheeting all along the ceiling, put zippers at the edges and corner, and used the pvc and string to set it up so I could roll the sheeting up like a big shade.  Then in one of the ends I taped the air filter, and then stuck a bunch of velcro on it, and on a box fan I keep in the garage.  That way I can pressurize the clean side of the barrier with filtered air, so that no dust or fumes pass through all the leaks.

Here are a bunch of pictures:

The working side:

The clean side:

Fan and filter:

And with the walls rolled up:

No comments:

Post a Comment